The first summer heat wave is upon us. Before leaving your home in the morning, you can take a few quick steps to save money and energy throughout these hot summer days.
- Close the blinds, shades and curtains. Reducing the amount of light let in can keep unwanted heat from entering your home.
- Set your thermostat up a few degrees. Raising your thermostat up just a few degrees can make a big difference in energy use.
- Unplug chargers and electronics. Even when an appliance or electronic device is not in use, it is using energy when plugged in. A quick check of outlets can make a difference.
- Turn off lights. Do a quick walk through of your home and ensure all lights are turned off.
- Make your dinner plans. Consider grilling, going out to eat, or a cold meal option to avoid using kitchen appliances which use energy and heat up the home.
These quick tips can help you save even more on Peak Savings Days. Delmarva Power customers are eligible for Peak Savings Days, where you can earn bill credits on designated days when electricity use is at its highest. You participate simply by saving energy during the specified hours—no enrollment is needed. You can receive a bill credit of $1.25 for every kilowatt hour (kWh) of reduced energy use below your average energy use.
It is quick and easy for you to save throughout the summer and on Peak Savings Days. Customers are alerted by phone the day before the Peak Savings Day indicating the hours to reduce energy use and can also choose to be notified by email or text by signing into My Account. You can also sign up for new alerts that tell you how much you saved and how your savings compare to others. You can learn more about the Peak Energy Savings Credit Program by calling 1-855-750-PEAK in Delaware or 1-855-751-PEAK in Maryland or visiting delmarva.com/peak.